Thursday, September 18, 2014

DVR Alerts for Friday 9/19 -- TCM Pre-Code Fridays

Confession time -- this Friday is probably the day with the most number of famous Pre-Code films that I've never seen. I've been fascinated by Mae West for years, I've read a couple of biographies of her, and yet I've never seen I'm No Angel or She Done Him Wrong. Embarrassing, but true.

So this week's recommendations are:

Possessed (10:15 a.m. ET)
Two Seconds (11:45 a.m. ET)
The Little Giant (1:00 p.m. ET)
The Mind Reader (2:30 p.m. ET)
Beauty and the Boss (3:45 p.m. ET)
Blonde Venus (8:00 p.m. ET)
I’m No Angel (9:45 p.m. ET)
She Done Him Wrong (11:30 p.m. ET)
Blonde Crazy (12:45 a.m. ET)

Skyscraper Souls (3:30 a.m. ET)

There's also the original version of Waterloo Bridge, starring Mae Clark and directed by James Whale, airing at 5:00 p.m. ET. I've seen it and don't remember being very impressed by it, but YMMV. Many people who have seen the Viven Leigh remake and then this Mae Clark version end up preferring the Pre-Code version because it doesn't have to play coy about exactly why Myra hangs around with all of those soldiers. 

The movies I'll probably end up watching first are Two Seconds, I'm No Angel, and Skyscraper Souls.

Today's notable stars: Joan Crawford & Clark Gable (Possessed), Edward G. Robinson (Two Seconds, The Little Giant), Warren William (The Mind Reader, Beauty and the Boss, Skyscraper Souls), Mae West (I'm No Angel, She Done Him Wrong), Marlene Dietrich & Herbert Marshall (Blonde Venus), Cary Grant (Blonde Venus, I'm No Angel, She Done Him Wrong), James Cagney & Joan Blondell (Blonde Crazy).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moderation Rules

Rule 1: I am the sole arbiter of which comments get through moderation.
Rule 2: See Rule 1